Blog Post #1: Top 5 news Sources

 


Family-

I use family as one of my top five news sources. For the most part I am informed by my mom. While I understand family can be seen as a bias source, I also know that I had to start somewhere. My mom has some very strong political opinions; however, I do not agree with all of them. Being that I grew up with her, she stood as a guiding factor for me to form my own thoughts, beliefs, and opinions. The reason why I find myself turning to my mom for news is because she'll brief me on current events that I may have missed. That way I can take it upon myself to do my own research on the event or topic. My family never tried to force their opinions onto me which I am very appreciative of. Because of this I learned how to be independent on conduct research in order to form my
own opinions.

NPR-

NPR or National and Public Radio serves as one of my go to news sources. Not only do I love how they use their platform but I also enjoy how they remain unbias for the most part. NPR broadcasts worldwide news which allows me to keep up to date on things that are happening outside of America. Before I started listening to NPR I felt like I was stuck in a bubble. The only reason why I knew about national news would be because my history teacher would bring it up occasionally. However, we never went further than stating what happened. NPR allows me to look further into situations while allowing me to form my own opinions on the event at hand. I feel that NPR does a great job of stating the facts rather than going off on a tagent on why they think an event occurred. I could tune in to NPR wherever I am which I love.

https://www.npr.org/

MSNBC-

I use MSNBC for current event purposes. It is a geat source to find out what is going on in America and how the world is being affected by it. What I like about MSNBC is that it isn't completely one sided. What I mean by this is that it doesn't lean too far to the left or too far to the right when discussing politics. While MSNBC isn't completely unbias, I feel that it has a good balance of Liberal point of views as well as conservative point of views. Even though I identify as more liberal, I take advantage of listening to the other side. Sometimes looking at politics from the opposing perspective opens you eyes to ideas  that you never thought of before.

https://www.msnbc.com/

News 12 Long Island-

News 12 Long Island is one of the main sources that I use when I'm back home. I know not everybody is from Long Island, but I highly recommend utilizing a news channel local to you. News 12 is where I get my daily information. At home, I used it mainly to check to weekly weather. However, I always turned on Channel 12 during the winter. I used it to find out if I had a snow day and to see if the roads were safe to drive on. It also informs their viewers if the roads are backed up on the highway and it gave updates on gas prices. What I found to be the most interesting and helpful on my local news channel were updates on wanted criminals, missing people alerts, and store closings and openings. News 12 is great for when I need information on what is going on in my current location.

https://longisland.news12.com/

PBS NewsHour-

In my opinion, PBS NewsHour does a great job of reporting the information on hand without adding their opinions. They mainly report on important news of the day and broadcast both online and through the radio. Their reports are easily accessible and user friendly which I think is great because it is easy to understand. PBS NewsHour manages to report on politics in a way that allows the reader/listener to form their own view. Their articles are straight and to the point and they report on whats important to today's society.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/

Comments

Popular Posts